Tuesday, October 04, 2011

Self Doubts and Motivation.....

It's now six months since Jim died and I'm beginning to feel that I might run again.  I know Jim wanted me to keep going but the motivation just hasn't been there....until lately and particularly after finding out that I'm no good at all without a goal and a training program.  I did some walking but I just found other things to do instead of getting out on a regular basis.  Too easy to put off.  What that says about me as a runner, I don't know and I don't suppose it matters really.  So, last night I decided to train for Fisher's Ghost 5km in five weeks' time and get a new 5km time on which to base any further training, keeping in mind that I'd like to run Canberra half marathon in April next year.  For now, I'm using 30:50 as a 5km time.

I've printed off a copy of the FIRST 5km training program which has three key workouts throughout the week and cross-training or easy runs on the other days of the week.  I know now that if I have a goal and a program for training, I'm not likely to welch on the deal!  I began this morning with the first key workout.

Track:  1km warm-up
8 x 400m (2:19) with 400m Recovery Intervals (RI)
1km cool-down.

Times for each 400m = 2:18;  2:22;  2:18;  2:21;  2:17;  2:22; 2:18;  2:20

I used Radio Road alongside Renwick school because the track at Chev would have been under water by now.  The session was pretty easy and I was expecting it to be much harder starting back with a speed workout after such a long break.  I enjoyed it too.  Strange how motivated I become when I have a specific program  to follow and an event to work towards....hopelessly unmotivated otherwise!


"When she was just a girl she expected the world!"('borrowed' from speedygeoff's blog!)...and she still does!

8 comments:

  1. Norma, you are never too old to make a running comeback.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thomo, thank you so much! It's of great help to me that runners like yourself keep a check on me! Keep at me so that I don't welch on what will probably be my last running comeback!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Woohoo! Clever using the road rather than drowning your Free 3s at Chev. Good times too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Ewen. Encouragement much appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yippee - so excited to read such a positive blog. Welcome back - really, really happy:-) xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. TA and the Gnome...that made me laugh! yes, baaaaaack for the last roundup!

    strewth, thank you; it's good to be back for what must surely be the last time!

    ReplyDelete